Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Umicore is a global materials technology and recycling group. It focuses on application areas where its expertise in materials science, chemistry and metallurgy makes a real difference. Its activities are organised in three business groups: Catalysis, Energy & Surface Technologies and Recycling. Each business group is divided into market-focused business units offering materials and solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technological developments and essential to everyday life.
Umicore generates the majority of its revenues and dedicates most of its R&D efforts to clean technologies, such as emission control catalysts, materials for rechargeable batteries and recycling. Umicore’s overriding goal of sustainable value creation is based on an ambition to develop, produce and recycle materials in a way that fulfils its mission: materials for a better life.
The Umicore Group has industrial operations on all continents and serves a global customer base; it generated a turnover of € 11.1 billion (€ 2.7 billion excluding metal) in 2016 and currently employs 9,900 people.
You are responsible for fulfilling the legal tasks of the ‘environmental coordinator’ as described in Flemish environmental legislation and are further responsible for controlling and advising the business units, active on the Olen site, on compliance with, and implementation of applicable environmental legislation, the Umicore Group EHS guidance note and Corporate Environmental objectives. You report to the Director CSM & site Olen Services.
- You are responsible for all the permits needed to operate and for the follow-up of the legislation on environment, radioprotection, building permits, etc. and are the priority contact with the competent authorities.
- You organize the control and monitoring of emissions to water, air and soil.
- You are in charge of the deployment, implementation and maintenance of an ISO 14001 environmental management system,
- You advise the management teams of the business units present on the Olen site on actions to be taken to remain compliant and minimize their environmental footprint.
- You manage the historical pollution on site and in the surroundings and initiate remediation projects in agreement with EHS Corporate and the authorities.
- You are in charge of the operation of the waste water treatment plant and organization of the reagents supply.
- You are in charge of the internal and external communication and reporting on environmental issues for the site.
- You lead a team of about 3 employees and 9 blue collar workers.
- You have a Master or PhD in Science.
- Being certified as Environmental Coordinator (Type A) is a strong asset.
- You have a sound knowledge and understanding of environmental techniques (waste water treatment – air cleaning – soil remediation etc).
- You have knowledge of the basic principles of radioprotection
- You are fluent in Dutch, English and have a good knowledge of French.
- You are a good communicator (written and spoken), with excellent presentation skills.
- You relate well with personnel at all levels in the company.
- You are a team player, with a positive and constructive attitude.
- You are stress resistant.