Intellectual Property Manager
Umicore is a global materials technology and recycling group. It focuses on application areas where its expertise in materials science, chemistry and metallurgy makes a real difference. Its activities are organised in three business groups: Catalysis, Energy & Surface Technologies and Recycling. Each business group is divided into market-focused business units offering materials and solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technological developments and essential to everyday life.
Umicore generates the majority of its revenues and dedicates most of its R&D efforts to clean technologies, such as emission control catalysts, materials for rechargeable batteries and recycling. Umicore’s overriding goal of sustainable value creation is based on an ambition to develop, produce and recycle materials in a way that fulfils its mission: materials for a better life.
The Umicore Group has industrial operations on all continents and serves a global customer base; it generated a turnover of € 11.1 billion (€ 2.7 billion excluding metal) in 2016 and currently employs 9,900 people.
Purpose of the job
Umicore is investing heavily in Technology Innovation and is expanding the Intellectual Property Management team in Olen (Belgium) to increase value creation from Innovation & IT assets.
- You screen the Research & Development results in order to propose patents that protect the acquired knowledge on processes and results.
- You formulate, starting from Records of Invention of the inventors, and defend patent applications at the official patent offices in Europe, America,Asia,...
- You follow-up the granting procedure and react on office actions of the worldwide Patent Offices.
- You formulate advices to project managers and Business Units on freedom-to-operate versus 3rd party patent rights and you gather external opinions if needed.
- You defend Umicore IP rights in opposition and appeal procedures and in infringement cases.
- You question and attack the validity of 3rd party patent rights in opposition, appeal and re-examination procedures.
- You lead the IP committees that take decisions on IP matters for a specific Business Unit. These committees include also members of R&D and the Business Units.
- You provide basic on-the-job IP training to internal customers.
- You continuously follow and implement the evaluation in patent law.
- You report to the Director Intellectual Property.
- You have an Engineering or Science degree (technical college or university) or equivalent.
- You are Qualified European patent attorney or are already far in the process to acquire this qualification.
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken)
- You have excellent negotiation skills to coordinate the decision making process in IP matter.
- You are a team player.
- Experience with rechargeable battery materials and application, metallurgy, catalysis, organometallic chemistry or applications of precious metals is an asset.
- Knowledge of Patent Management systems is an asset