Process Development Engineer France
About EOM – Umicore IR Glass
Power in space. Vision at night. Umicore is a world leader in germanium-based material solutions for thermal imaging, space solar cells, light emitting diodes and fibre optics. We guarantee our customers secure access to supply and our recycling technology gives germanium a new lease of life. To bring germanium products and recycling to new markets we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new processes. Which is where you come in.
The position of Process Development Engineer is opened in the EOM Research Center in Acigné (France) near Rennes, called Umicore IR Glass, the world leader in the manufacturing of molder chalcogenide optics.
Purpose of the function
As Process Development Engineer you develop new glass compositions and new shaping processes. You ensure the transfer of competences and knowledge acquired from R&D to volume production lines.
You work within a multi-disciplinary team. Your domains of activity are the following:
- Design of new materials, synthesis and testing
- Characterization of new materials using various methods of analysis
- Transfer of processes developed from lab scale to the volume production lines
- Technological scouting and bibliographic studies
- Relate with customers for specific project follow up
- You hold a master degree or PhD in materials science
- You have a good knowledge of infrared materials (chalcogenide glasses, and crystals)
- You have a good understanding of processes and equipment used for the shaping of glasses.
- You are familiar and have practical experience with characterization and testing methods of materials.
- You are fluent in English.
- You have solid project management skills.
- You are creative, hands on, and have a practical mindset.
- You aremotivated and problem solving oriented.
- You are well organized and have an eye for detail.
- You are a team player.