Process Engineer (Wickliffe, OH)
United States, Wickliffe
Cobalt & Specialty Materials
External Job Description
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. To learn more, visit us at www. umicore.com.
To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore is currently seeking a Process Engineer in our Cobalt & Specialty Materials business unit, located at our Umicore Specialty Materials Recycling LLC facility in Wickliffe, OH.
About Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore’s expertise covers the sourcing, production and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore’s materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints and tires. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
The Process Engineer will:
- Utilize analytical tools to accelerate the process design, scale up and validation process for new chemical products.
- Prepare and direct chemical and industrial manufacturing process improvements in order to increase production performance regarding the aspects of lead time, efficiencies, cost, quality, and safety and environment.
- Lead the assigned CAPEX process projects according to the PX (project excellence) principles of Umicore/CSM, respecting timing, budget, and scope.
- Responsible for the technological aspect of projects, from feasibility to implementation.
- Register all internal/external process/product changes, following Management of Change (MoC) procedures.
- Set up test programs for internal/external qualification of process/product changes. Analyze data and documents results in reports.
- Interact with the maintenance group on equipment and instrumentation related issues.
- Support all safety, health and environmental procedures and initiatives at the site.
Purpose of the Job
This is a multitasking position with the objective to streamline and improve the production processes at USMR. The Process Engineer will lead as a project manager process/product CAPEX & improvement projects, under general guidance of the Process & Technology Manager.
What we are looking for
Skills and Requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or related field of study and five years of related experience; OR
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering with one year of related experience.
- Position also requires demonstrated experience with the following: chemical process; solvent extraction; Ion exchange; Leaching of super-alloy scrap; Leaching of hard metal scrap; Selective metal precipitation via hydrolysis; Waste water treatment for heavy metal removal; Safe handling and transfer of concentrated acids and bases; Chemical processing equipment; Plate and frame filter press; Membrane squeeze filter press; Mefiag filter columns; Air diaphragm pumps; Magnetic drive electric pumps; Leaching vessels with immersion heater and center-mounted agitators; Mixer-settlers; Ion exchange columns; Control valves; Flowmeters; pH probes; Executing risk analysis (PHA, HAZOP); PSI; PHA; PRA.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise, and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organization, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. We offer a generous benefits package, including a 401K Plan with employer matching and profit sharing eligibility, 11 paid holidays per year, bonus eligibility, health insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance, short and long term disability insurance, company paid life insurance, voluntary accident and life insurance policies, flexible spending accounts, and health savings accounts. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status or other status protected by law.
If you need assistance in applying for this position, please contact Gretchen Nystrand at email@example.com or by calling 440-833-3006.