Project manager Dispersion and Formulation
Research & Development
Giving new life to used metals. Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage.
With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
One central competence area of Umicore Group Research & Development is focused on the development of active materials for both energy storage and catalytic applications. To do so, a customized development of dispersions and formulations to process these materials is needed.
You will be active in the Functional Materials platform, for the development of wash coats for automotive catalysts and functional inks and pastes for battery applications. Furthermore, you will contribute to active materials development through size/shape control and surface functionalization.
A profound understanding of colloidal chemistry and rheology is absolutely necessary, with a related (research) experience of minimum 5 years. Knowledge of surface chemistry is considered as a strong asset.
You will be mainly responsible
- for the scientific and technical content of development projects on dispersion and formulation for the respective areas
- to push boundaries by acquiring and applying knowledge about new technologies
- to broaden and deepen the competences of the teams involved in these activities
- to contribute actively in setting-up an external collaboration network in the area of dispersions and formulations
- Your primary task is the development of formulations and processes for active materials, to be applied in batteries and automotive catalysts
- You build up materials and technological understanding and cooperate with external laboratories, companies and Umicore business units
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in the technical area of dispersion, formulation, rheology and surface chemistry
- You take the responsibility over research projects, broaden your expertise and make it available within other R&D projects
- You are responsible for the results, timing and budget of your projects, and understand the trade-off that is usually made between scope, budget and timing
- You manage the IP of your projects in cooperation with the Umicore patent department
- You push boundaries by acquiring knowledge on new technologies and applying this knowledge to generating ideas for new developments
- You manage the communication process towards your superiors, team members, co-workers and (internal) customers related to your research projects.
- You coordinate the project evolution in all dimensions (execution, reporting and administration).
- You develop and maintain an internal and external international network and share expertise with your colleagues
- You are responsible for the training, development and coaching of your team members to improve your and their competences (managers, white and blue collars)
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues
- You have minimum five years of experience in the development of disperions and formulations
- A PhD degree in a technical or scientific area is considered a strong asset
- You are fluent in English, knowledgde of Dutch and/or German is an asset
- You are prepared to accomplish missions abroad
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues
- You are strong in summarizing, systematic and methodological in approach
- You are result-oriented, creative and you work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people without anly problem
- You are a team player and customer minded with experience working in project teams
- You are able to give firm advice to the Business Units even when the decision/advice taken still encounters residual risks.
- You will manage expectations.