RBM R&D Project Leader Materials Research Team (Cheonan, South Korea)
South Korea, Cheonan UMK
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Research & Development
“RBM-R&D Project Leader Materials Research Team (Cheonan, South Korea)”
Purpose of the Job / Summary
This position heads a small research team and performs prospective research projects in the area of cathode materials for rechargeable Li-ion batteries. He/she will efficiently direct the research activities and organize/design standard as well as innovative experiments. The job holder reports to the Head of Materials ResearchTeam.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Works in a team focusing on materials research projects in the field of cathode materials for Lithium-Ion batteries.
These projects include:
- materials design, synthesis and testing
- upscaling of material designs from lab-scale to pilot- mass production-scale.
- customer-driven product development (qualification from lab- to pilot-scale)
- characterization of the new materials using various analytical methods (physical, chemical and electrochemical)
Prepares the projects which have been entrusted and leads their implementation.
Be responsible for the results and timing of assigned projects.
Writes patent applications and technical reports, prepares and presents the results in internal or external meetings.
Coordinates R&D activities with other R&D teams within Umicore as well as with external partners like universities or research institutes.
This function will be supported by a small team of researcher(s) and technician(s)
Experience in the cathode material industry is a plus but not a mandatory
- self-motivated approach towards R&D
- "hands-on" approach (ability to set-up and maintain experimental equipment)
- computer skills (fx. Excel, MS access, ...)
- interest in IT and programming skills (fx. VB, access/SQL) is a plus
- data mining, interpretation, visualization and reporting skills
- good command of English both written and spoken
- good knowledge of Korean (or Chinese) language and culture is a plus
- outstanding creativity and ability to work independently and solve problems
- analytical mind and scientific curiosity
- efficient communication in an international environment
- ability to lead a small project team
- PhD in materials (preferable inorganic) chemistry/engineering and/or physics
- Master in materials (preferable inorganic) chemistry/engineering and/or physics with 3-5 years of working experience
- Prior educational experience in cathode material and/or Li-ion battery will be a plus