Senior R&D Project Manager
Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Research & Development
Umicore is a global materials technology group.
For its business unit Umicore Speciality Materials Bruges (USMB) located in Bruges, Umicore is currently looking for a
Senior R&D Project Manager
You will help fulfill the growth aspirations of USMB in current and new markets & applications by introducing new and optimizing existing products and processes, by managing complex product developments and product/process improvement projects and by providing expertise within the product line “metal carboxylates and resins”.
- You analyse and manage short-, medium- and long term R&D projects in all its aspects (definition, budgeting, milestones, up-scaling, industrialisation, EHS, legislation, raw material sourcing and reporting) from conception all the way through to commercialisation.
- You design lab & pilot experiments, assist, support and supervise colleagues with lab and pilot experiments, and closely follow-up the execution of experiments. You ensure smooth transition from lab to pilot to production, making sure all TQM and EHS measures are taken into account. You report results and when required produce samples for customer evaluation.
- You build a profound and broad knowledge in specific scientific domains within the product line and application fields of metal carboxylates and organics and come up with ideas for new products, technologies, applications and methodologies.
- You conceive the development and synthesis of new or improved product formulations and/or processes, based on customer or market requests, taking into account new legislation and raw material availability, and costs, yields, and quality aspects.
- You represent USMB in technical commercial visits with agents & customers to support sales and product innovation/ improvement. You participate in international conferences / trade shows to promote USMB’s product portfolio and our competence to elaborate customized solutions.
- You are a true role model to colleague’s in the lab, stimulating safety and cleanliness (5S) and coach and support lab colleague’s to help ensure efficient and safe execution of lab and pilot experiments.
- You have a Phd in chemistry and minimum 10 years experience in managing complex R&D projects.
- You have a profound knowledge of organic and/or organometallic chemistry and polymer chemistry. Knowledge in metal carboxylate technology, alkyd resins, coatings, paints and homogeneous catalysis is a great asset.
- You have excellent project management skills.
- You understand products, specs, process capabilities (refining+transformation), customer applications and have experience with the requirements of quality systems such asISO 9001/9100/14001.
- You are fluent in Dutch, English and French.
- You are an objective and critical thinker with excellent analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and willing to share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are decisive, result driven, responsive, creative and like to take initiatives.
- You have well-developed communication skills, show broad technical-commercial skills to discuss with sales and agents on product development.
- You are an enthusiastic and self-motivated person, able to proactively build networks of contacts inside and outside the company.