Anode Incubator Director
New Business Incubation
Posted on 29-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubation (NBI)
NBI is leads Umicore’s efforts to identify and incubate next generation disruptive technologies with the aim of creating new business opportunities. In close collaboration with the business units and Corporate R&D, NBI covers Umicore technology innovation roadmap for the medium and long term. There is still so much potential waiting to be unearthed. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
In the frame of the New Business Incubator, the Incubator Director has the full responsibility to bring mature R&D programs to profitable new business initiatives under the form of mini companies. These Incubators get nurtured and matured in NBI before later being either transferred to an existing BU or as a new BL/BU.
In the specific context of the Anode R&D program (one of the Top10 VIP R&D programs identified by Management Board), and after years of development in CRD, the purpose of this job is to set up, create, manage and grow the high energy anode materials business for Umicore as an independent NBI hosted Incubator.
Your main responsibilities:
- Being accountable for business execution, the focus will be on building the business strategy and associated business plan, building and leading the anode Incubator team, defining and supervising R&D, IP and commercialisation strategies and managing the P&L (including production, initial sales & R&D costs).
- Defines and communicates to relevant stakeholders (internal and external) the overall anode Incubator business strategy (in collaboration with N+1), builds and ensure proper execution of the associated business plan (with help of anode Incubator management team)
- Manages (recruit, train, lead) the anode Incubator team, interact with relevant other departments (BU, CRD, corporate) to ensure proper allocation of internal resources, leads the anode Incubator management team.
- Defines the high-level technology development and commercialization strategies and ensures proper execution of R&D, IP, Marketing & Sales and Applied Technology related actions.
- Manages the anode Incubator P&L and provides adequate reporting to management and stakeholders
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master degree or Phd in engineering or science with ideally experience in the field of solid-state chemistry, and more specifically of lithium-ion batteries.
- Multiple years’ experience with technology transfer, intellectual property management and protection, and commercializing technologies. Ideally patent agent.
- Sound technical understanding of battery technology and anode technology in particular
- Sound overview of the battery market dynamics, specifically anode materials for LIB
- Excellent financials and negotiation skills combined with a excellent business sense
- Thorough knowledge of MS office products (with focus on Excel and PowerPoint).
- Fluent writing and speaking in English
- Demonstrated ability to inspire effective teamwork and motivate staff (including in a matrix structure)
- Experience in managing global programs with significant financial value and complicated structure.
- Ability to utilize resources effectively on a global scale
- Ability to lead a team (including functional management) in a fast changing and demanding environment
- Ability to provide vision and inspiration, to build commitment and overcome resistance
- Strongly developed logic and critical thinker
- Affinity for Asian business dynamics and willingness to travel
- Good presentation skills and confidence presenting to senior management
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can power electric vehicles, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?