Associate Scientist Battery materials Application Testing
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As an Associate Scientist in Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will contribute to the development and evaluation of new materials and technologies in the field of batteries through internal and external R&D efforts.
Within a cross-functional and dynamic team, you will generate knowledge and expertise to assess the potential of different battery materials and technologies including solid-state, silicon, Li metal, and advanced cathode active materials. You will develop new methods and improve existing one for battery materials application testing, which includes electrodes fabrication and processing, cell assemblies, testing, data analysis and management. You acquire these insights by executing research projects together with a team and you ensure the continual development of appropriate methods.
- You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in battery materials application testing in cooperation with various internal teams, external laboratories, and other Business Units.
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal capabilities around battery material application testing through the development of new methods and approaches, and close interaction with various research programs.
- You are hands-on in the battery testing by executing research projects together with the team.
- You create understanding and insight in battery testing and draw relations with material properties.
- You identify and develop new ideas for IP generation.
- You lead projects related to competence development ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You effectively communicate with all members of the team, external researchers and Business Unit(s).
- You assess and improve the quality system, the safety policies and environmental & health processes and procedures.
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained a PhD degree in materials science, or equivalent by experience.
- You are interested in application driven research.
- You have a deep knowledge on battery testing including slurry processing, electrode fabrication, cell assembly (various kinds), cell testing, data management, battery materials.
- Experience with at least two of the following is required: Battery assembly, battery testing, solid state electrolytes, advanced cathodes, Lithium metal anodes, Silicon anodes, Na-ion batteries.
- Strong in physical and chemical characterization of materials is an asset.
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments.
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting.
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people.
- You are a team player and customer minded.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are prepared to occasionally travel abroad (<10% of your time).
- Fluent in English, both written and orally. Dutch, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese capabilities are asset.
What we offer
We lead the way. Not just for our customers, but also for our employees. We foster a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture where we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. We reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. That’s what we do. Imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO