Associate Scientist Cathode Materials
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 22-01-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As an Associate Scientist Cathode Materials in Corporate R&D, you will build and apply knowledge and expertise within the development of next generation cathode materials, from the design and synthesis of the cathode material itself, to its integration into battery cells.
You will be located in Olen (BE) and report to the Senior Project Manager Batteries CRD.
Your detailed Responsibilities:
- You execute research projects within the cathode materials program, applying knowledge and expertise.
- You align with project managers at CRD and project team members at BU or CTO.
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal capabilities around cathode materials, and daily interaction with the team.
- You keep track of patent literature in core competence subdomain.
- You participate in FTO study and patent filing in collaboration with BU and the IP department.
- You safeguard proper confidentiality guidelines across the project.
- You participate in funding files (Vlaio, EU,…) in collaboration with the External Science and Technology department.You lead projects ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You functionally manage (1-5) reports as well as implement and control CRD safety rules and quality procedures.
Who we are looking for
- You have a PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials science) or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You have a deep knowledge on materials, their synthesis and characterization and battery integration.
- You have a comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You identify and make recommendations on potential collaboration projects or participation to funded projects
- You are fluent in English. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset
- You are result-oriented, creative and motivated; you are successful in motivating and convincing other people
- You have functional leadership skills to guide the project team towards successful execution of the project
- You are a team player and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to travel abroad
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO