Associate Scientist Coating Technologies
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
The Associate Scientist builds and applies knowledge and expertise within the domain of surface chemistry/advanced coatings, typically within the framework of a research program for a business unit or the CTO organization.
- You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in surface chemistry/advanced coatings and cooperate with external laboratories, and other Business Units.
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal capabilities through new methods and approaches, and close interaction with the team.
- You lead projects ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You identify, propose and develop new ideas for IP generation.
- You effectively communicate with all members of the team, external researchers and Business Unit(s). This network includes RTOs, technology providers and suppliers.
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues around the world.
- You build upon your network in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You have obtained your PhD in chemistry, materials science or Engineering or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You are interested in application driven research
- You have a deep knowledge and experience of advanced coating technologies (e.g. ALD, CVD, PVD…), applied to functional materials, especially battery materials
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting
- Fluent in English and (willing to learn) Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset.
- You are result-oriented, creative and driven by scientific curiosity; you are successful in motivating and convincing other people
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relationships.
- You are a team player and can easily adapt in new environments.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?