Associate scientist material characterization
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
You have a broad scientific understanding of metallurgy, metallogenesis and materials science; and the associated characterization techniques. You support the analytical lab with a focus on material characterization and you are the bridge between the analytical laboratory and research programs on hydro- and pyrometallic recycling processes. You build and maintain the knowledge base within these domains and broaden the analytical competencies in battery materials. You develop analytical research work to optimize quality, costs and throughput times. You represent the lab in internal and external contacts related to your competence field.
- You support the development of metallurgic recycling processes by strengthen the knowledge base of the associated characterization techniques; by sharing the scientific understanding; and by networking with researchers, analytical partners and external laboratories.
- You are the bridge between the analytical laboratory and the Umicore research programs and you are responsible in the translation of the needs of the customers in the corresponding analytical research with focus on material characterization
- You have a broad scientific understanding of the Umicore relevant materials and the minimum needed characterization techniques as optical microscopy, FEG-SEM combined with EDX, microprobe and XRD.
- You share knowledge and expertise with Umicore staff and secure long-term competence development.
- You look for and implement external collaboration opportunities for complementary characterization techniques
- You advise the analytical research programs, give input on technical solutions of analytical requests and launch new investment requests
- You support the executed analyses running in the analytical lab and the material’s characterizations section
- You assure a constant high-quality level of assaying
- You cooperate in the deployment of the EHS standards and action plans
Who we are looking for
- You have an academic degree in Materials Engineering, a PhD in Geology, or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You have a broad scientific understanding of the Umicore relevant materials or are willing to grow in vital knowledge
- Experience in the field of material characterization and/or metallurgical materials and/or their geological origin and the indispensable failure analysis is a must
- You are familiar with quality assurance principles and statistics
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset, or you are willing to learn Dutch
- You have strong oral and written reporting skills.
- You have solid leadership and communication skills, you are a team player and you are also committed to results
- You are a strong problem solver, have an analytical mindset and are creative in developing new methods and procedures
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my research can help tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?