Associate Scientist Materials Informatics & Machine Learning
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will doing
As an Associate Scientist in Corporate Research and Development you will contribute to the development and application of novel concepts leveraging machine learning and data analytics to materials research, process/device optimization and smart DoE. Within a cross-functional team, you will generate knowledge and expertise to accelerate experiments with active learning and automatic reasoning and reduce application testing times. You will ensure the implementation of these methods in our R&D processes and support the team in diverse data science projects. You acquire these insights by executing research projects together with a team and you ensure the continual development of appropriate methods.
- You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in machine learning and data analytics in materials science and chemistry domains in cooperation with various internal teams, external partners and other Business Units.
- You execute data analytics projects, from merging of datasets, data exploration to building and training of appropriate machine learning models.
- You explore big data concepts for materials science in association with public and private materials databases.
- You ensure – where necessary – the transfer of models to the Business Units or their integration in R&D processes.
- You lead projects related to competence development ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to other projects by actively participating in cross-team events and facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and continue to develop your own as well as the group’s expertise in the field.
- You participate in the drafting of funding files (Vlaio, EU…) in collaboration with the External Science and Technology department.
Who we are looking for
- You have a PhD degree in Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent through relevant research experience.
- You are proficient in data exploration, data analytics and machine learning techniques, preferably applied to materials research.
- You are proficient in Python and with machine learning packages. Experience with Azure machine learning components is an asset.
- Knowledge of battery materials, electrochemical characterization, battery testing is an asset.
- Experience in working with materials databases such as Materials Project… is an asset.
- You are a team player and customer minded.
- You have good networking and communications skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytics skills, able to assess & summarize (numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments.
- You are prepared to occasionally travel abroad (<10% of your time).
- You are fluent in English, both written and orally. Dutch, French, German, Korean or Chinese are an asset.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?