Associate Scientist Solid State Batteries
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
As an Associate Scientist in Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Amiens (FR), you will contribute to the development and evaluation of new materials and technologies in the field of solid state batteries through internal and external R&D efforts.
Within a cross-functional team and closely linked with Laboratoire de Réactivité et Chimie des Solides (LRCS) Université de Picardie Jules Verne, you will generate knowledge and expertise to assess the potential of solid state batteries and develop materials solutions for this technology. You will build in-depth understanding of materials synthesis, physicochemical properties of the materials and their interfaces needed to develop solid state batteries. You acquire these insights through executing research projects, and you ensure the integration of this expertise into internal capabilities.
- You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in materials synthesis and characterization aspects for solid electrolyte materials and cooperate with external laboratories, and other Business Units.
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal capabilities around synthesis, processing and characterization through new methods and approaches, and close interaction with the team.
- You are hands-on in the synthesis and assessment of new materials, characterization techniques and integration methods for solid state batteries by executing research projects.
- You define and establish the experimental plans to synthesize new materials and ensure their comprehensive validation.
- You lead projects ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You identify and develop new ideas for IP generation.
- You effectively communicate with all members of the team, external researchers and Business Unit(s).
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues around the world.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You recently obtained your PhD in electrochemistry, materials science or related fields
- You are interested in application driven research
- You have a deep knowledge on battery materials, synthesis, interfaces and electrochemical characterization
- Having expertise in the field of solid state batteries is a strong asset
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting
- Fluent in English, both written and orally. French language capabilities are an asset.
- You are result-oriented, creative and driven by scientific curiosity; you are successful in motivating and convincing other people
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relationships.
- You are a team player and can easily adapt in new environments
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to travel (20-35% of your time). You will be based in Amiens, France.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?