Business IP Manager
South Korea, Cheonan UMK
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Research & Development, Legal
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
We are all on the move. Umicore’s rechargeable battery materials give people autonomy and connectivity. We are a pioneer in battery materials that give added range and performance to electric vehicles. Our materials also ensure longer battery life for portable electronics. To enable our customers to produce even better performing batteries we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
The Business IP Manager is responsible for assessing IP portfolio held by RBM and ensuring IP is used as a leverage. Basically generate revenue from IP portfolio and develop and implement systematic valuation of RBM IP portfolio.
1. IP Valorisation
• Develop and maintain a system to measure the value of Umicore patent portfolio, supporting decision-making (Qualitative Patent Portfolio valuation,…)
• Support the strategy to enforce IP against competitors
2. IP Acquisition
• Scout for external IP acquisition opportunities
• Develop value assessment tools to support negotiations for the acquisition of IP
3. Internal IP Management
• Support the development and implementation of Inventors' remuneration
• Management of license portfolio (follow-up of invoicing, payments,…)
Who we are looking for
- Relevant experience in IP with MS degree in engineering/science
- Experience in the field of licensing and technology transfer, intellectual property management and commercializing technologies.
- Working knowledge of international laws regarding intellectual property
- Working knowledge of IP commercialization processes
- Computer literacy
- Good communication skill and strong team sprit
- Fluent in both oral and written English is a must. Knowledge of Korean, Chinese or Japanese is a clear asset
- Strongly developed logic and critical thinker
- Excellent communication skills in an international environment (horizontal, vertical and external / oral and written)
- Operational process curiosity & application for improvement
- Objective and critical mind-set
- Very enthusiastic and self-motivated
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can boost the range of e-cars, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO