Chemist Functional Materials (Catalysis)
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development (CRD)
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
- You are responsible for planning, overseeing and execution of inorganic synthesis and characterization experiments and research tasks
- You contribute to the creation of new competences on new or existing processes. You stay up to date on the current and upcoming synthesis methods
- You perform the synthesis experiments and suggest changes to conditions based on your observations and analytical characterization results
- You gather the analytical data on the synthesized materials, interpret and present results in meaningful way, and communicate them to the project team
- You install and maintain operating procedures to ensure safe and efficient workplace standards
- You participate in hazards evaluation to establish safety, health and environmental procedures and controls
- You collaborate within the team and with other teams in order to complete the work
- You provide functional guidance to different team members
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master degree in Chemistry, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related fields. Or you have a Bachelor’s degree with relevant experience in these fields.
- You have good knowledge and skills in inorganic chemistry, catalyst synthesis and characterization
- You have basic knowledge and experience in electrochemistry
- You have good written and verbal skills and the ability to clearly explain technical decisions based on data and results
- You are willing to go into detail to understand the experiments and scientific background and you will take the initiative for this
- You’re capable of executing experimental plans in a structured and organized way to meet objectives within the timeline
- You have solid organization and analytical skills for data management, analysis and presentation of results
- You are strong in multitasking and planning
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English is required, knowledge of Dutch is a plus
- You like to work within a team and like to take up a guiding/training role
- You work in an ordered and accurate way
- You are creative and think broadly, you are able to draw quick conclusions based on observations and likes to solve issues
- You perform experiments independently
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my research can help tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO