United States, Bayport
EHS/Quality, Production, Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this,imagine what you could do?
To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore Catalyst USA, LLC. is currently seeking a Developmental Chemist in our Stationary Emissions Control Catalysis business unit to support our Pasadena, Texas facility.
We all have the right to breathe clean air and at Umicore we are a world leader in the production of emission control catalysts. Our technologies enable on-road and non-road applications, as well as power generation and process industry to meet environmental standards around the world. Our products have prevented billions of tonnes of harmful gases and particles being released into the atmosphere. To enable our customers to produce even cleaner engines and further reduce industrial emissions, we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas.
Which is where you come in.
The Developmental Chemist oversees the technical aspects of the analytical laboratory, its equipment and methods; to ensure analytical services are provided in accordance with customer and quality system requirements; to provide training and supervision to the Quality Specialists; develop and modify existing ICP/XRF protocols for new technologies and raw materials and to implement new analytical processes as required.
- Technical oversight of the ICP, XRF, ATU and Chemical and Physical Analysis laboratories. Develop and perform non-routine analyses for which established methods do not exist. Maintain accuracy of ICP, XRF, Chemical and Physical test equipment and standards through monitoring of analytical results and trends and correction of calibrations. Establish and implement laboratory protocols to ensure the safety of lab personnel and visitors.
- Maintaining calibration records for measurement devices deemed critical to quality within production.
- Generation of certificates of analysis and quality data reports at upon request.
- Develop new analytical techniques in response to new catalyst technologies developed by R&D. Implement new tests and technologies for emerging requirements. Participate in the development of analytical programs and calibration/matrix correction routines for new technologies.
- Maintain “in-control” and improve analytical tests. Establish systems to monitor performance of the laboratory equipment using statistical techniques. Complete MSAs and test capability-monitoring programs on laboratory instruments and laboratory procedures. Responsible for the calibration, maintenance and trouble-shooting of analytical instruments.
- Participate in R&D and Product Team discussions and processes related to optimization of in process liquors and slurries and new products being upscaled for full-scale production.
- Supervision, direction and training of Quality Specialists and general labratory management.
Education and Technical Background:
Bachelor of Science degree, preferably in Chemistry.
Experience in the operation, calibration and method development for specialized equipment such as ICP-OES or ICP-AES is required.
Two to five years laboratory bench work preferred and a proven expertise in Spectroscopy and applications software.
Strong knowledge of organic and inorganic chemistry
Understanding of an ERP System - SAP Specific
Capable of taking leadership responsibilities while maintaining relationships with colleagues and direct reports
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with staff and customers
Able to work with a diverse group from different backgrounds and different disciplines
Self-motivated individual who can work independently and make decisions
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
If you need assistance in applying for this position, please contact Jessica Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Umicore Human Resources at (832) 261-3771.
We thank all candidates for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.