United States, Catoosa
Precious Metals Chemistry
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Precious Metals Chemistry (PMC)
Life-enhancing chemistry. Umicore is an expert in metals-based catalysis for applications that improve our quality of life. Emission treatment technologies, cancer treatments, the production of fine chemicals and advanced electronics – all are made possible by our organometallic technology know-how. To bring the magic of metal-based chemistry and catalysis to new customers and new applications we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As an EHS Engineer, you will oversee the Environmental Health, Safety, and (EHS) systems of the PMC site including regulatory compliance with all health, occupational safety, environmental, process safety and industrial hygiene requirements (OSHA, EPA, DOT, ODEQ, OSFM) as well as relevant industry standards. Specifically, this will include:
- Monitoring industrial hygiene, medical surveillance programs, safety reporting, incident reporting and investigation, safety training requirements and documentation. Items include but not limited to: hearing conservation, respiratory use, first aid team, OSHA requirements, machine safety, PIT safety, radiation / laser safety, lab safety, chemical management, lock-out/tag-out, confined spaces, process safety, DOT hazmat registration, first aid, CPR, and other OHSA required training. Maintain chemical inventory and SDS files for site. Reduce safety risk to employees through incentive programs, work hazard analysis, job safety analysis and employee training. Ensure systems are in place to ensure all safety equipment, alarms, detection and response systems are maintained. Oversees site health and medical testing activities.
- Managing environmental processes (all media) for regulatory and Umicore requirements, including: air permit, POTW permit, NPDES storm water permit, EPCRA 311, 312 & 313, air emission inventory, emergency response plan, TSCA, and recycling programs for PMC. Responsible for all aspects of management of regulated wastes. Coordinate and conduct EHS training. Coordinate training with outside trainers as needed. Manage emergency response programs.
- Developing and submiting all corporate, state, and federally required safety and environmental reports (includes HERMES; a Umicore reporting system measuring monthly and yearly EHS and sustainability metrics). Site EMR for maintenance of certification to ISO14001. Complete submission forms for new materials. User and engineering / operations partner of the Prohara process safety platform. Support the MOC process of process safety, review process of new projects and construction in compliance with safety and environmental regulations. Support JSA’s for new processes.
- Managing incident causation processes to ensure effective root cause analysis and corrective action of safety and environmental incidents, reporting to regulatory and Umicore agencies and prevent recurring incidents. Support injury assessments and return to work activities with supervisors.
- May be assigned other duties or special projects as needed, based on facility.
Who we are looking for
Our success based on individuals who are ready to make the most of their skills and prepared to tackle any challenges they face. As well as your Bachelor Degree or above, you should have minimum of 5 years general experience in the field in the chemical and manufacturing industry, including EHS engineering position for at least 3 years. Experience with system administation, auditing, experience with EHS/ISO/OSHA/EPA systems and supporting process safet management program needed. You should have high levels of motivation and initiative, good communication skills, and strong team spirit. We’ll also be looking for:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a measured sense of understanding for sensitive and confidential issues with all levels of employees.
- High level of ownership to the EHS Management System and the ability to anticipate, analyze, and recognize problems / workplace hazards should be a basic skill set.
- Ability to read and interpret government regulations and apply them to the workplace.
- Working knowledge of the US regulations framework and the requirements applicable to the PMC operations and laboratories.
- Ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision balances immediate and long-term priorities.
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office suite, Visio, Adobe Acrobat Pro, AutoCAD).
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?