Head of Strategic Innovation
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
- As Head of Strategic Innovation you define, execute and manage the long term (5-10 year) product and process research and development work on rechargeable battery materials.
- You define strategic competences, build and manage a team of highly skilled employees that can further develop to be successful in rechargeable battery materials technology.
- You are responsible for the definition, coordination and timely execution of a portfolio of a variety of projects.
- You actively define public funded research projects and set-up and oversee the external research efforts.
- You report on the overall project status and next steps towards management.
- You define and manage the application of current IT to R&D challenges (data mining, ‘big’ data).
- You are accountable for the knowledge generation and knowledge condensation through an in-depth understanding of the relationships between process, product characteristics and the performance of current and future products in the applications.
- You lead the translation of the knowledge generated within the Center of Strategic Innovation (CSI) into a strong IP portfolio.
- You have a PhD degree in Science (Chemistry, physics, engineering…) with more than 15 years’ experience within the domains of research and project management in rechargeable battery technology.
- You have a solid expertise in rechargeable battery materials, its process & product R&D and product design, and in the application of characterization techniques to challenges in materials development.
- Experience with protection of intellectual property and efficient application of current IT to R&D challenges (data mining, ‘big’ data) is also required.
- You are fluent in English.
- You are skilled in managing global research projects with significant financial value and complicated structure and are able to utilize resources effectively on global scale
- Analytical thinking, problem-solving ability and strong drive for innovation and change are key in this function.
- You have good presentation skills and are confident presenting to senior management.
- You inspire people and lead them to excellence.
- You are a team player, with a positive attitude and spirit for new environments.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?