Industrial Hygienist Manager
Environment Health and Safety
Posted on 28-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About our corporate/support function
A global organization. It’s not just those in our industrial sites and technical centers that are vital to Umicore’s growth. Across our support functions we ensure that we continue to grow and evolve – whether it’s by making sure our decisions are commercially viable, enhancing our reputation, building new customer relationships or finding the right people who can build on what we’ve already achieved. The variety of our work means we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
You will maintain and improve the health of the Umicore employees by defining, implementing, carrying out and strengthening an industrial hygiene program with focus on the specific workplace health risks while also promoting continuous workplace exposure performance improvement ! You will work closely together with the chairman of the Committee for Prevention & Protection of the Hoboken site and you will report to the Group Manager Safety & Industrial Hygiene.
Your detailed responsibilities:
- Defining and implementing an industrial hygiene management system including (but not necessarily limited to) workplace exposure and risk assessments (chemical, physical, biological), reporting on progress via key indicators;
- Implementing and leading an industrial hygiene program in line with regulatory requirements and the Umicore Industrial Hygiene standard;
- Coordinating the workplace exposure measurements activities, projects, campaigns at site level (including specific occupational or general health information, training, campaigns…). This also includes:
- Regular inspections of the workplaces
- Investigation of workers’ complaints related to health risks
- Participation in incident investigations with possible excess exposure events
- Detailed processing and interpretation of the collected workplace data
- Provide advice and recommendations to the site (e.g. site management, engineering department, production and maintenance management…) to ensure compliance to Umicore standards and local regulations, taking in account the business needs
- Reporting of the data to the relevant internal stakeholders
- Acting as a center of expertise for Umicore sites on industrial hygiene needs and questions
- Identifying industrial hygiene training needs of all employees and providing that training through in-house resources or external consultants
- Contribute to scientific evaluations and studies to improve the knowledge of the relation between the Umicore activities and products and their possible impact on human health
Who we are looking for
An analytical colleague with/who:
- A Bachelor in chemistry (biochemistry, or related field…), with specialisation in industrial hygiene or eligibility to become specialist in the short term;
- A first professional experience in a relevant position;
- Knowledge of risk management tools;
- Registered safety advisor training according to Belgium Regulations (level 1 or 2) is a plus;
- Strong communication skills (oral, written) at all organizational levels;
- Knowledge of information tools;
- Proficient english knowledge.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO ?