Lab Technician (Wickliffe, OH)
United States, Wickliffe
Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore is currently seeking a Lab Technician in our Cobalt & Specialty Materials business unit, located at our Umicore Specialty Materials Recycling facility in Wickliffe, OH.
About Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore's expertise covers the sourcing, production and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore's materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints and tires. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Executing several physico-chemical sample preparations, analyses or tasks according to standardized work methods, using a variety of lab equipment, and reports possible deviations to Lab Supervisor and/or Process & Technology Manager.
Working according to established quality requirements:
- respects internally defined quality regulations;
- prepare calibration standards;
- performs instrument daily calibration;
- perform required tests on raw materials, in-process samples, finished good products related to physical properties and chemical properties;
- performs the analytical tasks in an efficient manner and respects the agreed upon response times;
- evaluates critically the analytical results and signals deviations while performing the tasks;
- maintains the lab equipment (clean pH probes, clean or replace ICP torch module, replace worn tubing, etc.), conducts checks/calibration on the equipment/lab instruments and reports on possible technical issues;
- takes care of good housekeeping of the lab and all lab equipment and maintain a clean and safe working environment for all in the lab;
- analyses lab certification samples for pH and ORP;
- reacts appropriately to unforeseen circumstances, such as failures of the lab equipment and reports unexpected results
- complies with all prescribed safety and environmental rules and regulations to include determining proper handling procedures of samples;
- participates in quality control activities throughout the laboratory to include reviewing final reports and collecting all data necessary for routine quality control functions and tests.
- applies analytical chemistry precision on a daily basis in regards to proper cleaning of glassware, avoidance of cross-contamination and the preparation of accurate standards.
Registering all analytical results and communicates these results internally:
- records test data and prepares reports detailing analytical results;
- assures proper documentation of all results, reporting whether or not it conforms
to specified requirements;
- generates and maintains laboratory records, including vendor certificates of analysis, in-process analysis, finished goods, non-conformance and environmental records;
- informs the organization on the results;
- may supply or recommend formulations based on customer requirements.
Collecting daily the waste water samples and performing the necessary analysis weekly
Who we are looking for
Our Lab Technician should have -
Minimum Bachelor's Degree of 4-year in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering (Inorganic Chemistry is preferred) or equivalent 4 years working experience in a laboratory or similar environment. The knowledge of Chemistry will need to be applied on a regular basis while performing requisite job duties.
- Preferably 1+ years of working experience in a laboratory or similar environment.
- Experience in the use of analytical laboratory instruments and methods (AA, ICP, Ion Chromatography, titration, etc.) is desired.
- Experience in LIMS, SAP is preferred
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet programs/software is required.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Able to follow written instructions with accuracy and precision
- Precise recording of results
- This position requires decision making and multi-tasking
- Organizational support:
- follows policies and procedures;
- completes administrative tasks correctly and on time;
- supports organization's goals and values.
- Good organizational skills:
- being able to plan and organize the assigned tasks;
- maintaining proper records;
- having attention to details;
- observation skills
- Math Aptitude
- Ability to work without supervision and comfortable trouble-shooting and problem solving without the assistance of the supervisor.
Able to work a 12-hour shift
Able to stand for extended periods of time
Able to lift 40 pounds
- Precise tasks require good vision and hand/eye coordination
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteren status or other status protected by law.
If you need assistance in applying for this position, please contact Gretchen Nystrand at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 440-833-3006.
IF MY EXPERTISE CAN HELP RECOVER COBALT FROM INDUSTRIAL METAL SCRAP, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?