Laboratory Technician (Wickliffe, OH)
United States, Wickliffe
Cobalt & Specialty Materials
EHS/Quality, Process & Product Development
External Job Description
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. To learn more, visit us at www.umicore.com.
To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore is currently seeking a Laboratory Technician in our Cobalt & Specialty Materials business unit, located at our Umicore Specialty Materials Recycling LLC facility in Wickliffe, OH.
About Cobalt & Specialty Materials:
Mastering the cobalt vaule chain. Umicore's expertise covers the sourcing, production and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore's materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints and tires. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
The Lab Technician will:
- Execute several physico-chemical sample preparations, analyses or tasks according to standardized work methods, using a variety of lab equipment, and report possible deviations to Lab Supervisor and/or Process & Technology Manager.
- Work according to established quality requirements:
- respect internally defined quality regulations;
- prepare calibration standards;
- perform instrument calibration on a daily basis;
- perform required tests on raw materials, in-process samples, finished good products related to physical properties and chemical properties;
- perform the analytical tasks in an efficient manner and respect the agreed upon response times;
- evaluate critically the analytical results and signal deviations while performing the tasks;
- maintain the lab equipment (clean pH probes, clean or replace ICP torch module, replace worn tubing, etc.), conduct checks/calibration on the equipment/lab instruments and reports on possible technical issues;
- take care of good housekeeping of the lab and all lab equipment and maintain a clean and safe working environment for all in the lab;
- analyse lab certification samples for pH and ORP;
- react appropriately to unforeseen circumstances, such as failures of the lab equipment and report unexpected results;
- comply with all prescribed safety and environmental rules and regulations to include determining proper handling procedures of samples;
- participate in quality control activities throughout the laboratory to include reviewing final reports and collecting all data necessary for routine quality control functions and tests.
- apply analytical chemistry precision on a daily basis in regards to proper cleaning of glassware, avoidance of cross-contamination and the preparation of accurate standards.
- Work according to established quality requirements:
- Register all analytical results and communicate these results internally:
- record test data and prepare reports detailing analytical results;
- assure proper documentation of all results, reporting whether or not it conforms
to specified requirements;
- generate and maintain laboratory records, including vendor certificates of analysis, in-process analysis, finished goods, non-conformance and environmental records;
- inform the organization on the results;
- may supply or recommend formulations based on customer requirements.
- Collect daily the waste water samples and perform the necessary analysis weekly.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Purpose of the Job
The lab technician will perform several detailed chemical analytical jobs within the set response times and will ensure that product quality specifications are met.
What we are looking for
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree or 4-year in Chemistry/Chemical Engineering (Inorganic Chemistry is preferred) or equivalent 4 years working experience in a laboratory or similar environment.
- The knowledge of Chemistry will need to be applied on a regular basis while performing requisite job duties.
- Preferably 1+ years of working experience in a laboratory or similar environment.
- Experience in the use of analytical laboratory instruments and methods (AA, ICP, Ion Chromatography, titration, etc.) is desired.
- Experience in LIMS, SAP is preferred
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet programs/software is required
Personal & Physical Skills:
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Able to follow written instructions with accuracy and precision
- Precise recording of results
- This position requires decision making and multi-tasking
- Follows policies and procedures;
- Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time;
- Supports organization's goals and values.
- Good organizational skills
- Able to plan and organize the assigned tasks;
- Maintaining proper records;
- Having attention to details;
- Observation skills
- Math Aptitude
- Ability to work without supervision and comfortable trouble-shooting and problem solving without the assistance of the supervisor
- Able to work a 12-hour shift
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to lift 40 pounds
- Precise tasks require good vision and hand/eye coordination
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organization, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. We offer a generous benefits package, including a 401K Plan with employer matching and profit sharing eligibilty, 11 paid holidays per year, bonus elgibility, health insurance, vision insurance dental insurance, short and long term disability insurance, company paid life insurance voluntary accident and life insurance policies, flexible spending accounts, and health savings accounts. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expressions, disability, veteran status or other status protected by law.
If you need assistance in applying for this position, please contact Gretchen Nystrand at email@example.com or by calling 440-833-3006.