Operations manager Utilities
Belgium - Olen
Engineering & Technology, Maintenance
Posted on 11-05-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Site Services
A global organization. It’s not just those in our industrial sites and technical centers that are vital to Umicore’s growth. Across our support functions we ensure that we continue to grow and evolve – whether it’s by making sure our decisions are commercially viable, enhancing our reputation, building new customer relationships or finding the right people who can build on what we’ve already achieved. The variety of our work means we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Main activities in site Olen are Research and Piloting of Battery Materials and Recycling processes and Production of Cobalt, Nickel and Germanium based products for use in Batteries, Electronics, Solar panels for space applications.
Utilities is the life line of the Umicore site Olen for all these activities.
As Sustainability is at the core of our mission, the Utilities department is also active in implementing projects towards zero GHG emissions and operating the compliant waste water treatment plant.
As manager Utilities, you will lead the Olen Utilities department responsible for production and supply of adequate and reliable electric, water, steam, air and gas service and managing the operations of the waste water treatment plant.
- Manage the Utility production processes (multiple installations e.g. Combined Heat Power plant - CHP, demineralization unit, compressors, …) and its maintenance in order to realize continuity in Umicore Production & Research departments, hereby striving for operational excellence in all related topics like safety, cost, people satisfaction, environment, …
- Lead the operational Utilities team of about 20 employees and ensure the employee training program
- Assist in the execution of projects related to the decarbonization strategy within the Utilities infrastructure and organization
- Manage the financial model of the CHP, align with internal customers on implementation of the cost accounting process for steam, electricity and other utilities and[VF1] steer the internal and external cost allocation
- Follow-up and interpret the various parameters and phases in the production and distribution processes to detect anomalies and implement improvements
- Ensure legal and internal QEHS inspections/audits and guarantees a safe and healthy working environment
- Provide good communication and co-operation between the various internal and external stakeholders [VF2] such as internal consumers of utilities, maintenance, engineering, etc.
- Report to the Head of Environment & Energy within the Site Services organization of Umicore Olen
Who we are looking for
- University degree, or equivalent qualification, in Engineering, preferably in Electrical or mechanical
- Technical experience and/or background in Utilities in an industrial environment
- Experience with and eagerness to lead a team towards excellence
- Relevant experience and understanding in the execution of industrial projects in operational environments is an asset
- Knowledge on waste water treatment installations and processes is an asset
- You are fluent in Dutch & English.
- You are a good communicator (written and spoken)
- You relate well with personnel at all levels in the company.
- You are a team player, with a positive and constructive attitude.
- You are stress resistant.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organization, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can power electric vehicles, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DOApply