Product Application Manager Light Duty Diesel (Auburn Hills, MI)
United States, Auburn Hills_ USA
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
To add to our valuable team of dedicated employees, Umicore Autocat USA Inc is currently seeking a Product Application Manager Light Duty Diesel- North America in our Automotive Catalysts business unit, located at our Auburn Hills, MI facility.
About Automotive Catalysts
We all have the right to breathe clean air. Umicore is a world leader in the production of emission catalysts and our technologies enable the automotive industry to meet environmental standards around the world. Our products have prevented billions of tons of harmful gases and particles being released into the atmosphere. To enable our customers to produce even cleaner engines and reduce emissions we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas.
Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Technical Responsibility (60%):
- Identify and understand technical solutions for current and future customer applications based on changes in legislation and market/customer requirements to ensure Umicore has a timely competitive offering.
- Identify unique or compelling value in Umicore technologies that may meet customer or legislative needs and effectively presenting such technologies to the customer.
- Recognized as a leading technical expert in the field and is responsible for heading customer technical discussions and influencing technical directions of the customer where appropriate.
- Manage the product into and through the customer’s acceptance and validation processes.
- Coordinate the Umicore AC PIP process for the product until PPAP is signed.
- Accountable for the work performed in area of responsibility meets the requirements of the IATF16949:2016, ISO 14001:2015, and OHSAS 18001:2007 and promotes the continued application of the TQM process within his/her team.
- Effective communication of customer and competitor information and status within AC
- Develop technical strategies and input for the five-year Integrated Business Plan (IBP) for customer related activities including after treatment component and system testing, catalyst development know-how, and personnel needs
- Manage a technical team that is efficient and innovative in their approach to problem solving.
- Understand market IP position and long term technical competiveness (10-15yrs) and assure IP protection is supported via the R&D group
Commercial and Strategic Responsibility (20%):
- Responsible for the life cycle of the products: During gestation until PPAP, during production life until start of service part by adjusting specification to solve recurring problems and support operations and sales managing product profitability
- Responsible for optimizing the productivity and efficiency of test programs (budget used vs. potential size of business)
- Strategic customer interface with the technical community to position Umicore and to gain insight into their current and future product and emission system needs and planning. This includes a clear understand of how to merge customer expectations to Umicore deliverables.
- Improve Umicore’s technology image through active participation and presentations in industry and government meetings as well as scientific and technical events.
- Understand the technology aspects necessary to satisfy the newly formed legislation throughout the globe especially as it applies to a customer with Global reach into various regions and countries.
- Give technical input to the Global Program Manager by Budget planning and execution of the concluded strategy and responsibility for system development projects with project milestones and within approved GTT budget as documented in the IBP
Leadership and Organization Responsibility (20%):
- Management of /participation in team made up of Product Application engineers / managers providing focused leadership, vision, technical expertise and customer insight.
- Lead activities targeting customer programs or applications including strengthening team through development efforts, recruiting and motivating team members from other regions all aligned with Umicore policy and performance mandates.
- Active participation in staff training and mentoring.
Who we are looking for
Education & Technical Background
- Advanced University degree, e.g. MSc or Doctorate degree related to auto industry, business and/or chemistry
- Detailed understanding of catalyst and after treatment functions
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills
- Extensive experience within Automotive Catalysts including roles in at least two different functional areas – Understanding of the commercial/technical, operational and financial elements of the business are required
- Computer literacy, with demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Office 365
- Project Management Skills
- >10 years professional experience of which at least 5 years within Catalysis
- Flexibility to travel both domestically and internationally
- Outstanding creativity, high social competence
- Excellent communication abilities – internal and external
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Excellent ability to deliver technical presentations to both small and large groups in person and in the virtual environment
- Able to establish good relationships with leadership team and staff both in person and virtually
- Build wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organization
- Analyze and describe technical challenges clearly, succinctly and efficiently
- Decisiveness and high pressure resistance
- Strategic, tactical and financial thinking
- Write and explain convincingly in an engaging and expressive manner
- Willingly engaged in the social aspect of customer development
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
Candidates must be able to work in the United States, without requiring company visa/immigration support. If you need assistance in applying for this position, please contact Marcie Lemieux at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (248) 292-2248.
We thank all candidates for their applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If our leadership can help reduce harmful vehicle emissions, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?