Product Technology Manager
South Korea, Cheonan
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Process & Product Development, Engineering
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
We are all on the move. Umicore’s rechargeable battery materials give people autonomy and connectivity. We are a pioneer in battery materials that give added range and performance to electric vehicles. Our materials also ensure longer battery life for portable electronics. To enable our customers to produce even better performing batteries we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
- Manage and lead global cathode materials industrialization projects. By monitoring progress and adjusting project priorities and needs, you will ensure your project meets its objectives within the defined time and scope. You report the project status and next steps towards the management committees.
- Coordinate, organize and document the global industrialization of cathode materials evaluation and qualification trials (both external with cust0omers as well as internal qualifications) of raw materials, new lines and new sites and transfer of products from R&D to mass production.
- Permanent interface between R&D product development and the different PTE projects
- Technical support to QM in case of customer complaint (with support of ACC or R&D)
- Support and backup of the Domain Manager Product Technology for maintaining confidential technical data in multiple technical models (e.g. budget, engineering cost, LCA, etc…)
- Define together with the Domain Manager Product Technology and your colleague Product Technology managers the general direction and strategy of the product industrialization team and contribute to the global roll-out.
- Communicate with multiple departments within the RBM organization (R&D, engineering, marketing & sales, production…) to ensure a smooth industrialization track and project execution
- You are based in South-Korea and will regularly need to travel abroad (mostly Asia, sometimes EU) to meet with the project teams and be present during industrialization trials.
Who we are looking for
- You have a master or PhD in chemistry, physics, engineering, or related field, with minimum 3-5 years working experience in product industrialization of bulk powders or more general the chemical industry. Experience in Li-ion battery materials, manufacturing processes or product industrialization is strong asset.
- Fluent in both Korean and English - speaking and writing. - Notion of Chinese and/or Polish is an asset
- Ability to lead a small team of technologists and to operate in a matrix structure in contact with different departments
- You are an assertive person with impact, who can lead cross-functional teams and promote inter-team cooperation
- Project management, organizing, planning and coordination skills
- Good communicator, with excellent presentation skills and confidence when presenting to management
- Analytical thinking, problem-solving ability and strong drive for innovation and change, combined with a positive attitude and challenge spirit for new environments are required in this position.
- You can work independently under general direction, use your good sense of prioritization of assigned goals and manage time accordingly
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can power electric vehicles, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO