R&D Project & Application Manager
Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore’s expertise covers the sourcing, production and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore’s materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints and tyres. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
- You manage complex product development & optimization projects and help us grow further into existing and new markets & applications.
- You manage a portfolio of research projects, within a broader R&D roadmap program, ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results and timing.
- You design, manage and follow up lab and pilot experiments – as well as conceive and push forward new products, processes, formulations, technologies, applications and methodologies.
- You support the further development of your own, as well as the business line’s expertise in the metal carboxylates, resins, esters and naphthenic acids competence area.
- With your creativity, you explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the competence domain.
- You support the further development of the IP portfolio by identifying and generating new ideas for patent filing and participate in the drafting of funding files (Vlaio, EU…).
- You effectively communicate with all members of the R&D and business development team and interact with internal (sales, purchasing, operations, QC) and external (research centers, universities, laboratories, suppliers, customers) stakeholders.
- Your remit will also involve representing the business with agents and customers to support sales and product innovation.
- You have a Phd in Chemistry or (bio)chemical engineering or equivalent through relevant research experience, preferably in the fields of organic and organometallic chemistry.
- You have solid experience in managing product development projects
- You have in-depth knowledge of organic, organometallic and polymer chemistry. Knowledge of metal carboxylates, metal sulphonates, overbased chemistry or solvent- and water based alkyd resins is a strong asset.
- Experience with patenting, IP management, FTO & patentability studies is a strong asset, as well as with drafting funding files.
- You are an objective and critical thinker.
- You are pro-active, creative and aim for results.
- You are an excellent communicator, enthusiastic, self-motivating and a proactive networker.
- As a good people manager and true role model to colleague’s in the lab, you stimulate safety and cleanliness (5S) and coach and support lab colleagues to help ensure efficient and safe execution of lab and pilot experiments.
- Fluency in both Dutch and English is essential.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?