Senior Program Manager Ni Supply
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 17-08-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As Senior Program Manager Ni Supply you will translate the needs of Rechargeable Battery Materials Business Unit for metal supply and refining into a research program and innovation targets based on deep understanding of relevant process, technology and business model and contribute to the definition of the strategy and the development of the roadmap of the program.
You will define, coordinate and follow-up the execution of this consistent and prioritized sophisticated, multi-disciplinary, multi-platform R&D program based on individual projects within the agreed priorities, scope and budget and develop the required roadmaps and influences in line with the BU program owners through the Steering Committee to guarantee long-term business development. In that perspective you will analyse, discuss and understand the customer needs, focus on the development of strategic competencies and on the execution of projects, with a strong focus on keeping the overview on future medium- and long-term product and/or process evolutions in the area. You ensure relevant ideas in the area are coordinated in programs and driven to results.
You will proactively contribute to the growth of technology and applications within the area of Ni refining by following the latest developments and demonstrated best practices through networking and/or external partnerships. You will prioritize and provide technological foresight in the relevant areas, proposing validated actions to the Senior Management Team and the Management Board. You provide input and proposals (influencing management) to guarantee accurate Umicore positioning within the relevant business area (Horizon 1 to 4), based on a continuously updated technical benchmarking and on academic and Research and Technology evolutions in the area, carefully validated with all internal stakeholders.
You also ensure proper IP management practices in all the portfolio area activities, and follow up on accurate information shielding in programs and projects based on need to know principles within the business area.
You functionally mentor and align with a team of (Senior) Project Managers or (Senior) Scientist to guarantee program and project excellence, providing the right priorities and competences at the right places!
Who we are looking for
- You have a PhD in Sciences or Engineering, or equivalent through relevant research experience
- Proven experience (15+ years) as R&D Project/Program Manager in an industrial environment is a must
- Significant and broad experience (10+years) in the field of Ni extractive metallurgy
- Good level of experience with non-hierarchical and hierarchical mentoring and leadership of managers
- Experience in an operational function outside of Technology is an asset
- Broad knowledge of competencies within CRD to offer at all times the most appropriate support in speeding up innovation at customers side
- Understanding of project finance and project portfolio management
- Deep understanding or IP mechanics, funding, R&D contracting and confidentiality matters
- Good and validated internal & external networking skills and intuition for business
- Customer intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the programs
- Strong planning and organization skills with strong target orientation
- Solid oral and written reporting skills
- You are fluent in English and willingness to learn Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can enhance our recycling technology, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO