Senior Project Manager
Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Cobalt & Specialty Materials
Mastering the cobalt value chain. Umicore’s expertise covers the sourcing, production and distribution of cobalt and nickel products. Umicore’s materials are at the heart of products we use every day such as rechargeable batteries, tools, paints and tyres. Our recycling and refining processes give new life to cobalt and other metals and reduce environmental impacts. To meet the demands of our customers we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
You manage strategic and new breakthrough investment projects within the framework of CSM’s strategic roadmap for growth. You take the full lead of innovative investment projects, including focusing on the process, technological and operational aspects during the project execution, and warrant the successful execution of the project in line with the expectations of the stakeholders.
- You manage the project portfolio assigned to you, with different sizes and priorities.
- Together with your project team and in close collaboration with other departments involved (production, maintenance, …):
Study and analyse the required technology for revamps and new units.
Propose technical improvements and/or solutions, in a feasibility – basic & detailed engineering phase, including a budget estimate.
Provide expert (chemical or metallurgical) process equipment knowledge to the team where needed.
Realize the complete project implementation including detail engineering, suppliers selection and follow-up, site supervision and start-up.
Determine the resource requirements for the projects in your portfolio.
- You assist the start-up teams for the different investment projects. You work closely together with the production manager and his staff, the different engineering teams and the maintenance organisation.
- You apply the quality system (ISO 9001), the safety policies (OHSAS 18000) and environmental processes and procedures (ISO 14000).
- You take up the responsibility for the whole plant operations as Engineer on Duty.
- You achieve the departmental targets and you realise the budget in collaboration with the Head of Project Engineering Department and other Project Managers.
- You assure a critical and proactive control and follow up of the planning and the physical progress made by the different teams and contractors.
Who we are looking for
- You hold a master’s degree in engineering or applied sciences.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience and technical knowledge in project management.
- You are technically-minded and skilled in various calculations (heat and mass balances, friction losses, capacity of equipment, thermodynamic issues, automation concepts, …).
- You possess knowledge of pyro- and/or hydro-metallurgy and dust management.
- You have in-depth experience with the practical side of environmental, health and safety issues, and the practical side of quality systems.
- You are fluent in Dutch and English and you are able to understand technical papers in French and German.
- You are able to lead a team in order to successfully implement and start up new installations, in close collaboration with other departments (production, maintenance, safety, purchasing, …).
- You have strong communication skills (oral and written), you are action-oriented and you are able to take decisions.
- You are capable of synthesizing a number of data and come to clear conclusions and you are able to handle miscellaneous tasks simultaneously.
- You are willing to travel abroad for specific assignments.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our recycling know-how can recover cobalt from industrial metal scrap, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?