Visiting Scientist next generation Cathode Materials
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As a Visiting Scientist in Corporate R&D, you will lead the development of next generation cathode materials for solid state application, from the design and synthesis of the cathode material itself, to its integration into solid-state battery cells.
You will be located in Olen (BE) and report to the Senior Project Manager Batteries CRD.
Your detailed Responsibilities:
You contribute to the definition of the project strategy and technical scope and execute most the experimental tasks related to this project, which will be constructed along two main axis
Cathode materials development
- Your tasks will be:
- Synthesis development of next generation cathode materials for rechargeable batteries at both lab scale and pilote scale
- Exploration and synthesis of surface treatments for their implementation in solid-state batteries
- Establishment of the characterization and evaluation tools required for such materials (diffraction techniques, spectroscopy, advanced electrochemical methods…)
- Knowledge accumulation on the manufacturing and integration of novel cathodes
- You transfer successful product development towards business unit for further commercialization
Solid-state batteries development
- Your tasks will be:
- Integration of next generation cathodes within all solid state cells, both with organic and inorganic electrolytes
- Evaluation of solid state cells and investigation of any failure mechanisms
- Establishment of electrochemical methods to assess the cathode performances
- You share the findings and the advancement of the projects with the different stakeholders
- You participate in and initiate external collaborations that are beneficial for Umicore strategy
- You contribute to other R&D projects and internal scientific emulation by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
You functionally manage (1-5) reports as well as implement and control CRD safety rules and quality procedures
Who we are looking for
- You recently graduated from a PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials science) or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You have a deep knowledge on materials, their synthesis and their characterization (XRD, microscopy, spectroscopy…) and battery integration. Having expertise in the field of metal oxide chemistry and/or solid-state lithium battery is a plus
- You have a comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You identify and make recommendations on potential collaboration projects or participation to funded projects
- You are fluent in English. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset
- You are result-oriented, creative and motivated; you are successful in motivating and convincing other people
- You have functional leadership skills to guide the project team towards successful execution of the project
- You are a team player and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to travel abroad
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO