Sustainability at Umicore

Umicore plays a key role in the transition to a cleaner and more resilient future, fulfilling our vision of “Materials for a better life”.

Umicore is working to optimize resource use and reduce pollution. Our Hoboken facility is the world’s largest and most complex precious metals recycling operation, processing over 200 types of raw material – from primary sources but also industrial residues and end-of-life materials, such as electronic scrap and spent rechargeable batteries – and recovering over 20 different metals. As part of our closed-loop business model, most of our business units recycle industrial residues from customers.  

We transform metals into functional materials and recycle them at end of life to make new materials. Our products deliver solutions for cleaner air and increased e-mobility, while we turn waste metals into a resource. Our ethical sourcing and closed-loop approach distinguish us as a leader in sustainability. Our closed-loop business model, contributing to the circular economy, delivers value to our customers, the environment and society.

In 2019, 60% of material input came from secondary and end-of-life materials, while 75% of total revenues came from clean mobility and recycling. Much of the remaining 25% of revenues are from products that improve connectivity or reduce energy consumption. 


      Umicore uses certain monitoring and tracking technologies such as cookies. These technologies are used in order to maintain, provide and improve our services on an ongoing basis, and in order to provide our web visitors with a better experience.

      By clicking on the "Accept all" button you agree to the use of these cookies while using the website. For further information regarding how we use cookies and other tracking technologies, please see section 11 of our website privacy notice

          Necessary cookies are essential and help you navigate our website. This helps to support security and basic functionality and are necessary for the proper operation of our website, so if you block these cookies we cannot guarantee your use or the security during your visit.

          Cookies that help us to understand the behaviour of users of our website. This allows us to continuously improve our website to provide the best information in support of our project aims. These cookies also help us understand the effectiveness of our website. For instance these cookies tell us which pages visitors go to most often and if they get error messages from web pages.

          Cookies that deliver content to you based on your interests, which are assumed from your browsing history. Most Targeting Cookies track users via their IP address and, thus, may collect some Personal Data. Personal Data collected by Targeting Cookies may be shared with third parties, such as advertisers.