Manager Analytical Laboratory Catalysis and Battery Research
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
You have a broad scientific understanding of materials in the field of catalysis and/or battery materials, preferably both. In addition to ensuring the quality and speed of your results, you contribute to the process of identifying critical material properties that drive performance. In this context, you will suggest, and enable access to analytical and material characterization techniques, and develop methods accordingly in order to answer questions from your customers. Whenever needed, you represent the lab in external contacts related to your competence field.
Your Responsibilities :
- You have a broad scientific understanding of the Umicore relevant materials and their characterization techniques
- You build and maintain the knowledge base within Umicore, and you monitor evolutions in the corresponding fields
- You share knowledge and expertise with Umicore staff and secure long-term competence development
- You look for and implement external collaboration opportunities for complementary analytical techniques
- You have a good knowledge of material characterization and the techniques which can be used in catalyst and battery research
- You coordinate the analytical research programs, give input on technical solutions of analytical requests, implement operational improvements and launch new investment requests
- You manage the daily operations in your lab section, and promote and coach the co-workers
- You play an active and leading role in the communication process of your section and promote teamwork
- You assure a constant high-quality level of assaying
- You deploy the EHS standards and action plans within your team
- You have an academic degree in Materials Science a PhD in Chemistry, or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You have a broad scientific understanding of the Umicore relevant materials
- Experience in the field of catalysis and battery research is a must
- You are fluent in English and Dutch or are willing to learn Dutch on short term
- You have strong oral and written reporting skills
- You have solid leadership and communication skills, you are a team player and people manager
- You are committed to providing solutions that allow your customer to take a next step forward
- You are critical in verifying upfront if and how you will add value
- Once your challenge is clear, you take the lead and work independently whilst regularly communicating with your stakeholders
- You have a strong sense of urgency
- You are a strong problem solver, have an analytical mindset and are creative in developing new methods and procedures
- You are familiar with quality assurance principles and statistics
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?