Chemist (Surface & Colloid Chemistry)
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 23-11-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About CRD (Corporate Research & Development)
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
- You work on the development of new functional materials in the field of catalysts and battery materials.
- You are responsible for planning, overseeing and execution of research tasks within this field
- You are responsible for translating project requirements into an experimental plan
- You follow up on the synthesis and characterization of the materials
- You have a hands-on-mentality, willing to work both on lab-scale and pilot-scale
- You work in a project based environment, working closely with different Business Units
- You present and interpret the results and communicate to the project team
- You take active part in project/technical meetings
- You create and maintain operating procedures to ensure safe and efficient work place standards
- You participate in hazards evaluation to establish safety, health and environmental procedures and controls
- You collaborate within the team and with other teams in order to complete the work. You collaborate with all levels on cross-functional projects
- You travel to suppliers and R&D events when necessary
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master of Bachelor Degree in chemistry, materials science or relevant experience
- You have good knowledge and skills in colloidal chemistry, coating formulation and/or dispersion technology
- You have good written and verbal skills and ability to clearly explain technical decisions based on the data and results
- You have a technical mindset
- You’re capable to execute experimental plans and execute in disciplined fashion to meet objectives within the timeline
- You have solid organization and analytical skills for data management, analysis and results presentation
- You are familiar with a range of characterization techniques (BET, PSD, TGA, DSC, SEM, rheology)
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English, willingness to learn Dutch is a plus.
- You work independently in a structured and accurate way
- You like to work within a team and like to take up a guiding/training role
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can enhance our recycling technology, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO