Vertical Start-up Manager
Canada - Loyalist
Rechargeable Battery Materials
Production, General Management
Posted on 20-02-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Rechargeable Battery Materials (RBM)
We are all on the move. Umicore’s rechargeable battery materials give people autonomy and connectivity. We are a pioneer in battery materials that give added range and performance to electric vehicles. Our materials also ensure longer battery life for portable electronics. To enable our customers to produce even better performing batteries we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
The Vertical Start-up Manager is responsible for planning and implementing the vertical start-up of the new production facility and advance the optimization of the “Life Cycle Cost” (LCC). This role will ensure the start-up manufacturing strategy is safely implemented and is fully effective, covering all aspects of pre-commissioning and start-up phases through to handover.
- Responsible for the “on-site coordination” between the CAPEX project team, commissioning/qualification team and operational setup team
- Function as the operational counterpart for engineering teams during engineering conceptual phase of the CAPEX program
- Support the operational setup template, including typical operational organization and functions, key procedures, job descriptions, standards, systems
- Responsible to coordinate the implementation of Business Unit standards (lot-size, standardize packaging method, systems)
- Gatekeeper for implementation of standards in the new setup/expansion as provided by the Senior Expansion Setup Manager and/or standardization manager
- Support the organization of production, AM, OE, warehouse and internal logistics departments, including recruiting and training, setting up procedures and systems, and coordination with other departments: including operational (quality, EHS) and non-operational (BIT, HR, finance, …)
- Support implementation of new operational and logistics concepts
- Assist during commissioning and startup for new concepts
- Support and Test in collaboration with PTE and BIT
- Operational aspects of new IT systems setup
- Participate in phase 6 evaluation of the CAPEX project with the project team, follow up the translation of the findings into standards and future project designs
- Long-term responsibility for organizing the regular expansion coordination committee with CAPEX, commissioning, qualification and operational setup team
Who we are looking for
Education and Technical Background
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Engineering or other related degree
- 7 to 10 years’ of experience in an operational role in an industrial environment
- Experience in Total Productive Maintenance (TPM), 5S, or Integrated Lean 6 Sigma’s tools and concepts
- Project Management experience
- Manufacturing process/production/product/flow/maintenance/warehousing and logistics knowledge
- Experience with Change Management methodologies and practices
- Ability to approach research and analyses of variety of operational processes with an emphasis towards optimization
- Capable of leading and influencing people at higher and lover levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills, promoter of cross-department cooperation.
- Experience in implementing operational excellence on the work floor
- Capable of leading and motivating
- Ability to identify and solve problems
- Analytical thinking along with great problem solving ability
- Ability to adapt to quick change within the work environment
- Able to work in a Matrix structure
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Umicore is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
If you need assistance applying for this position, please contact Henry Kahl at firstname.lastname@example.org
If my/our leadership/teams can improve battery performance IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO